Sunday, January 23, 2011

Work in progress

Now that we're well into January I thought I'd show you what I've busily been working on. For ages now I've been wanting to work in encaustic but I've been too intimidated by the process and the expense to try. It always seemed so mysterious and potentially toxic. Alas, I couldn't shake the interest in was and started researching it more.

This January after having realized that I had double-booked myself for art shows, I thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to create an entirely new series of work based around encaustics. This new series will continue with the mushroom theme I've been doing but it will incorporate linocuts, encaustic paintings, monotypes, drawing and watercolors. I will be tackling many new techniques that I've never tried before and it's gotten me wishing that there was some way I could get rid of sleep and work so I could work in the studio more.


Above are a couple of photos of a encaustic painting in the process. The second one is of painting being carved with my linocut tools to help me create details. The wax really is magical and it's always on the verge of being out of my control. I love that kind of creating. So what do you think? Do you work in wax? Do you have any hints or tips for me? I would love to hear them.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! I've always been interested in encaustics, but as of yet haven't gotten there! I am in love with beeswax and am just using it in an electric wok and dip drawings in it! How adventurous of you to begin this new process when you have new shows coming up! I'm with you on the wishing you could do without sleep so you could be in the studio more!!! There are a lot of encasustic workshops out there and books too...my husband just gave me one for Christmas! Bridgette Guerzon Mills is an encaustic artist in Chicago who does beautiful work...is on facebook and has a blog...so many others out there too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the artist suggestion! I have a couple books on it now but encaustic hasn't really become popular in this neck of the woods yet so there are very few courses.

    Wax is a seductive medium, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete