Monday, March 12, 2012

Rejection - Bring it on

Trace monotype


  I got another rejection notice the other day. I don't really like rejection when it comes to my art but I'm printing off each one as proof of my efforts and determination. In the past I would take the rejection personally, as though it was a comment not only about my skill but as a rejection of my soul. It hurt a lot. This is what I feel like I was born to do, what do you mean you're not interested in what I have to offer?

  The more I keep trying to put myself out there the less importance the rejections take. I'm not going to stop creating, hurt or not, but I think I'm finally starting to get a thicker skin when it comes to showing my work publicly. I can't say that I'm not discouraged and it certainly feels as though I'm due for positive reinforcement but I will get back up and try again.

What about you? What keeps you trying after being rejected?


3 comments:

  1. good post!
    I think in terms of creative output, not being overly concerned with my work being accepted by others helps, and actually being flattered when it's rejected because that just means I'm still ahead of the curve ;)
    no one initially liked/understood Van Gogh, Bruckner or Tesla either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Well you're way ahead of me I think. I like that thought process though....I'm too advent-garde ...I'm a Supa-star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with bexor's comment....I think the most important thing is to make the work that you are called to make....NO one else can do it, it's your job and you've already said you felt you were born to do this....follow that! Juried venues always mean someone is rejected and it's not a reflection on you, just the sensibilities of the "juror" in that moment of time. You are still whole and safe to make the lovely work you make! Enjoy! Patti

    ReplyDelete